Kuranyi proves his worth to fire Schalke second

Ex-Germany striker Kevin Kuranyi proved his worth by sealing Schalke 04 s 1-0 win over Nuremberg on Sunday, to put the Royal Blues second in the Bundesliga, despite nearly being sold over the winter break.

The 27-year-old, who notoriously walked out on the Germany team in October 2008, struck in the 48th minute with his ninth league goal of the season to put Schalke second, a point behind leaders Leverkusen.

Before the game, Schalke coach Felix Magath admitted he had wanted to sell the striker to English side Sunderland earlier this month for a reported four million euros to ease the club s debts, but the player had scuppered the deal.

We reached an agreement with a club, but Kevin decided he wanted to stay and achieve something with Schalke this season, said M…

Barcelona name training pitch after Vilanova

The late Tito Vilanova has been memorialised after former club Barcelona named one of their training pitches in his honour.

Barcelona have renamed a training pitch at their Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper facility after Tito Vilanova, who died at the age of 45 last year following a lengthy battle with throat cancer.

After succeeding Pep Guardiola, whom he had previously assisted for the 2012-13 season, Vilanova guided Barca to the Liga title with
0000032F
a club record haul of 100 points.

However, his sole campaign in charge was interrupted by illness and he was forced to step down in July 2013.

At a ceremony on Friday, Vilanova s wife Montse Chaure spoke of her pride at the tribute to her late husband.

Tito loved coming here, she said. He…

Odegaard: Real Madrid a difficult place for youngsters

Martin Odegaard is desperate to kickstart his career at Heerenveen after failing to make his mark at Real Madrid, acknowledging the Santiago Bernabeu is not an easy place for youngsters.

The Norway international joined Madrid from Stromsgodset in January 2015 and became the youngest debutant in the club s history when he featured against Getafe in May of that year at 16 years and 157 days old.

He failed to build on that substitute cameo, though, and mainly featured for Castilla over the past two years.

The 18-year-old has now opted to continue his career at Heerenveen on an 18-month loan deal and he is keen to get started at the Eredivisie outfit.

Real Madrid are a very good club with some great players, so it is difficult to get playing time as a young…

Prediction: Burnley vs Leicester

Prediction: Leicester win

Best Odds: 

Bookmaker: 

The Premier League is back in action once again this week with a host of entertaining fixtures as we continue to steamroll towards the last few months of the season. There are a few clear races in which the favourite is becoming clear but in equal measure, there s also a great deal of uncertainty still in the mix as we head into the month of March. Today, we re going to take a look at a clash between two teams in desperate need of a positive result Burnley and Leicester City.

Burnley

Sean Dyche is a master at finding ways to reinvent this Burnley side but many will always wonder when the wheels are going to fall off. A string of bad results in association with Fulham s resurgence means there s a chance…

Title-winning Vincent Kompany relishing his shot at the big time with Burnley

Vincent Kompany ended Burnley’s title-winning season with a 3-0 home victory over Cardiff and revealed why he chose to sign a new five-year contract at the Premier League-bound club.

The former Manchester City captain led the post-match celebrations and Championship trophy presentation having steered his club back to the top flight – where he intends to have “a bit of fun”.

It marked a remarkable first season in English management for the Belgian who was appointed following the Clarets’ relegation 12 months ago.

Some day

— Burnley FC (@BurnleyOfficial)

The final-day win came 24 hours after the highly-rated 37-year-old signed a new five-year contract that could keep him in charge at Turf Moor until 2028.

Kompany’s efforts ha…

Ligue 1: Montpellier 0 Saint-Etienne 1

New Montpellier coach Rolland Courbis slipped to defeat in his first game in charge on Friday as Saint-Etienne earned a 1-0 win.

Courbis returned for a second stint in charge of the 2011-12 Ligue 1 champions earlier this week following the resignation of Jean Fernandez.

But the 60-year-old could not inspire the struggling hosts to victory, Montpellier succumbing to a defeat that extends their winless run to nine games.

Saint-Etienne dictated for much of the first half, with winger Franck Tabanou going close to giving them the lead on multiple occasions.

Christophe Galtier s men finally broke down the home defence in the 75th minute when former Leeds United forward Max Gradel turned home Faouzi Ghoulam s low cross at the far post.

Montpellier failed to mount…

Charlton Athletic confirm takeover talks

Charlton Athletic have confirmed that the club are in takeover talks with Belgian businessman Roland Duchatelet.

The club issued a statement on Saturday announcing that dialogue has started with Duchatelet, who already owns Belgian Pro League outfit Standard Liege.

Charlton chairman Michael Slater, who has owned the club since the start of 2011 with Tony Jimenez and their company CAFC Holdings Limited, stated that negotiations are progressing in a positive manner.

Very constructive discussions are ongoing which we hope to conclude soon, he said in the statement posted on the club s official website.

Charlton and currently 19th in the Championship, four points above the relegation zone.

Barkley fighting for chance under Sarri after nightmare start at Chelsea

Ross Barkley feels ready to impress under Maurizio Sarri at Chelsea after a nightmare first few months at Stamford Bridge.

The midfielder joined from Everton in January for a reported fee of £15million but made only two Premier League appearances under Antonio Conte.

Injuries curtailed the 24-year-old s integration into the Chelsea set-up, with Barkley having had surgery on a torn hamstring last year that led to a succession of further problems.

However, the England international is determined to kick-start his career with the London club under a boss he feels favours a style of play to which he is suited.

I arrived here with a long-term injury, he said ahead of Wednesday s International Champions Cup clash with Arsenal. 

I didn t play many ga…

Red Star´s Degenek revelling in whirlwind year as Champions League football awaits again

Playing Champions League then going to Saudi Arabia and coming back to the Champions League again, you couldn t imagine that, Degenek, who returned to Red Star on loan in July before signing a four-year contract, told Omnisport. You dream about it and you sacrifice a lot for it to happen.

Last year it was me that helped Red Star a lot in the qualifiers against Salzburg but it wasn t just me. It s a team effort. It s never just down to one player.

The Socceroos defender – who fled the war-torn Balkan region with his family in the 1990s, relocating to Australia – added: I had the six months playing Champions League and then it was time for me to go to Saudi Arabia to Al Hilal, where I had a good stint. I played in the Asian Champions League and played with some unbe…

India´s Singh to trial for Heart fbl contract

India football international Gouramangi Singh is to spend two weeks on trial for a contract with new Australian A-League club Melbourne Heart, officials said on Monday.

Singh, 24, will link up with Heart from June 7-19 in a bid to become the fourth Indian international to play for an overseas club.

Central defender Singh played a pivotal role in India?s victorious 2008 AFC Challenge Cup campaign, helping his country to secure qualification to January s Asian Cup in Qatar, where India have been grouped with the Socceroos.

Dutch head coach John van ?t Schip said he was looking forward to having the opportunity to gain an insight into Singh?s potential to adapt to the A-League.

Indian football is very much an unknown quantity, but I am confident Gouramangi…